- M Grade (excluding Temporary M Grade)
- C Grade
- R Grade (Navigator Only)
Junior Driver Restrictions: Please refer to Schedule L of the current MotorSport Manual to find the information relating to the restrictions on Junior Drivers- This information includes venues and vehicles.
Step 1: Car Club Membership
Your first step is to become a member of a MotorSport NZ Affiliated Car Club
You will need your club membership details handy when you submit your application.
Step 2: Getting ready for the Exam
Before you sit the exam, you can test yourself using the examination paper available on our website
This page includes information and links for the competition licence application process, the types of competition licence and licence exam questions.
Step 3: Register
It is recommended that you register online with us before you sit the test as the examiner can then find your record online and complete the examination section that is required.
To do this please follow the steps below:
- Go to the login page
- Click “New to Motorsport NZ? Register here”
- Complete the details as requested and click the email button to submit the form
- You will receive an email from the database with a temporary username/password
- Enter these details into the username/password fields and click the big blue start button
- You will then be taken to a page you will be asked to change the username/password to something you will remember
- You can then log in using the username/password you have set up
Note: If you have previously held a Competition Licence or a Vehicle Logbook with us, we may have already created a record for you in this database which means you may not need to register. If this is the case, please advise or select the ‘Forgot Password’ option on the log in page.
Step 4: Exam Time
Please contact one of our Licence Examiners local to you to arrange a time and place to sit your exam
When you have passed your exam, the examiner will be able to find you in the database as you will have already set yourself up in the system- Your examiner can scan and upload your exam results into the database.
If at the time the exam cannot be marked off online another option is to scan/email or post the signed test to the Office where it can be marked off on the examiner’s behalf.
Step 5: Applying for your Licence
It is recommended to do this when you register/before you sit your exam as this then adds the application to the list the examiners access to mark them off.
Click “Licences” on your Dashboard- The click “Add a Licence” followed by “Competition Licence”
This will open a new page where you can complete all the necessary details for your application.
The next step is the payment page where you can select the method of payment and will be supplied with an invoice number or a receipt via email (dependant on the method selected).
Step 6: Junior Driver Forms
As a Junior Driver there are a few extra forms to have completed before your first Licence can be issued. These forms are:
- Junior Driver Indemnity Form- must be completed by the parent or legal guardian
- For M Grade: Junior Driver Fitness Appraisal Form- this form needs to be completed by a Physical Fitness Trainer/Secondary College Physical Education Teacher
- For C and/or R Grade: Junior Driver Medical Examination Form- this form needs to be completed by a Doctor
All are now contained with form L001B- Competition Licence Application- Junior, which can also be found in the ‘Resources’ tab of your MotorSport Online login.
These can be uploaded as part of the online application or scanned/emailed directly to the office.
Step 7: Other Requirements (For C Grade Junior Applications Only)
Please find below the section of the MotorSport Manual Schedule L regarding the requirements to be meet once the licence is issued:
(3) C Grade requirements: (a) Such persons would, as a prerequisite to obtaining a C Grade licence, be required to; (i) have five(5) signed Clearances from any ClubSport Events, or (ii) have a signed clearance from a course conducted by a MotorSport NZ Licensed Driving School. (b) An exception to this rule may be applied for by a competitor to the MotorSport NZ Competition Licence Panel and granted if the Panel decides it is justified by the applicant’s record of results and experience, which must be submitted with the application and should include at least two(2) years of MotorSport NZ recognised competition.
Above (a) refers to the completion of L002A Licence Upgrade Form, which can be found in the Resources Tab of your MotorSport Online log in. Either the 5 ClubSport event clearances can be signed off or the attendance at a MSNZ Licenced Driving School. Contact details for the Schools can be found in the list of Licence Examiners on our website.
If this does not suit for any reason, please refer to (b) – the exemption request can be sent to me and I will pass it onto the panel on your behalf. Please refer to form L002C Licence Exemption, which can also be found in the ‘Resources’ tab of your MotorSport Online login.
Step 8: Approval of your Licence
We will be able to see your application every step of the way and will be watching for the following to be completed:
- The Licence has been applied for
- All personal details completed within your Profile tab
- A suitable Passport style photo has been uploaded (this will print onto your licence card)
- The licence fee payment has been received
- Any medical aspects have been approved
- The Exam has been passed/marked off
- The requirements under Step 7 have been approved (for C Grade Junior Applications only)
Once all the above has been completed your licence application may be approved and a licence card sent out to you.
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact Morgen Dickson, Customer Relationship Administrator – email@example.com